What can JustaDogGirl do for me?
My name is Krystian Howe.
I am here to help you navigate your dog’s world. I want you to enjoy your life with your dog.
Like you, I am a dog mom. I have three rescue dogs and for many years I was confused about my dog’s behavior.
I want to help you navigate the canine psyche and get down to the nitty-gritty of what makes your dog tick so you can enjoy life with your dog.
Who will benefit from JustaDogGirl?
Persons involved in dog rescue, foster parents or rescue volunteers.
Dog parents and dog lovers
Anyone that wants to help rescue dogs.
Persons that want to understand dog behavior, positive dog training, dog care, and the intricacies of rescue a little better.
To learn more about what JustaDogGirl has to offer, please visit: Funding Rescue Dogs: Behind the Scenes of JustaDogGirl
If you want to read about dog training, dog care, tips and tricks, dog behavior, rescue, or just life with dogs: go to the Blog.
If you want information about dogs in need and the dogs and/or rescue we’ve helped: Subscribe!
If you are a rescue that would like a little extra help: Email me!
Who am I?
I am a dog mom to three beautiful senior dogs. Zeak has been in my life since 2008. He is my oldest at 14 years old, current of 2020. The two ladies in my life, Chloe and Mischa, will be 10 years old in Feb and Sept. They are the loves of my life, along with my daughter and husband.
My obsession with rescue started when I was just a teenager. If you would like to read the story, you can find it here. Those events fostered a love for dog rescue. I have built my life around the events of the day. Some may call it PTSD, but I call it fate.
As an adult, I have dedicated my time to helping rescue dogs in need. I have been a rescue volunteer from 2007-2018, helping over 100 dogs in the process. After 100, I have lost count. During my time in rescue, I graduated from the Animal Behavior College in December 2010 and have gone on to continue my education in positive dog training and behavior. You can see my progress on my resume.
To see all the pups that have passed through my home and care, click through the sideshow.
50 Random Facts about Krystian
- I was a fine art photographer for four years due to a severe shoulder injury in 2013. There will be fine art available for purchase in the shop to help raise funds for rescue dogs.
- I have lived in North Carolina, Texas, Okinawa Japan, Nebraska, South Carolina, and Virginia. My family is serial movers due to my husband’s Air Force job.
- I have been married to an amazing Airman since 2004. He is a goofball and the love of my life.
- I became a mother to a daughter in 2005. She is my world.
- My brother has a beehive that supplies the beeswax for the candles that I make for my home. I frequently photograph his super friendly bees.
- The paw print in my logo is from my Jack Russell Terrier, Maple. My husband gave her to me as a going-away gift when he joined the military. We were separated during his training and she helped me cope. She and I were constant companions until her death.
- I love everything about farmhouse decor. I grew up around my grandpa’s farm. We raised cows.
- I love to re-purpose and paint furniture. I love to take a piece and make it multi-functional.
- I like to cross-stitch baby blankets.
- I love true crime and forensics. Before I met my husband, I planned on joining the police department. I wasn’t old enough at the time.
- Two of my dogs were shot by the same stray bullet. Only Mischa survived.
- When I needed a service dog, Zeak was happy to accept the role. He was my service dog for over ten years. He is now a fat happy retired pup and I no longer need a service dog. I trained him myself.
- People always ask me how I have the heart to give up my foster dogs. I think of my house like a dog college. They come to me to get the education to survive in the real world. Then they go out into the world to become successful with their families.
- I use baby oil gel instead of lotion.
- I was born in North Carolina.
- I have twelve aunts and uncles, not including the spouses! My family is huge. So large that we use to rent a banquet hall for the annual Christmas party.
- I am frequently asked to train service dogs. I do not train at this time, but I have amazing resources for those looking for help.
- I have a sister that I have never met. I know nothing about her other than she is younger than me.
- I have donated my artwork to dog rescues to help them raise funds for their medical costs. I do this yearly.
- If I am the presence of someone crying, I will cry too. I proudly wear my heart on my sleeve. No one cries alone with me.
- I love to bake, but I hate to cook.
- You will never see me with long nails. I hate them.
- I move my furniture every few months. I have no idea why. I need an intervention!
- I use to perform in talent shows as a dancer.
- I would rather pet sit 20 rowdy puppies rather than one quiet baby.
- I am 5′ even. I often stand on my tiptoes to gain another inch.
- My first dog, Rocky lived to be 22 years old.
- I use to be very athletic. Growing up, I was a cheerleader. I played volleyball, softballs, and basketball with my church team. My shirt name read CK 01, a nickname I was given at the time.
- I do not watch tv, I listen to it. I use the tv as a companion rather than entertainment.
- I had a wild gecko live in my Japan home for two years. He greeted me every morning while sunbathing in the kitchen window. He only walked on the walls to stay out of the dog’s way. I never had a bug during those two years.
- I am claustrophobic. I require an escort on a plane. I would much rather travel by car no matter the distance.
- I only like iced coffee, typically lattes.
- I do not like raw apples.
- I love tulips.
- I am a huge fan of rock music.
- I have ridden an elephant.
- I have petted a Komodo dragon after cleaning his enclosure at a local zoo. His name is Albi and was living at Henry Doorley Zoo in Omaha, Nebraska.
- I have a fear of success. I don’t want to let anyone down.
- I am a fan of simplicity. Less is more for me.
- I use to have panic attacks. I would not wish this on anyone.
- My favorite color is gray.
- When I am tired, I get silly. I cannot stop laughing and everything is funny.
- I am a serial plant murderer. Plants that come into my home die. Plants that thrive on neglect survive. Don’t ever ask me to care for your plants. They will not make it.
- I play D&D every week with my best friends. We play online so we don’t have to break up this amazing team.
- I worked at Applebee’s when I was a teenager. It was where I met my husband.
- I have a serious obsession with notebooks. I have a different notebook for every subject I take notes about.
- I have over 1400 books on my Kindle. Most are romances and dog books.
- I love the woods. If it is a nice day, I will frequently be out hiking somewhere.
- I have been called a cheap date by MANY people. I don’t need much to be happy. My love language is definitely quality time.
- I am great at organizing. If I am asked about anything in my home, I can tell you exactly where it is as long as I placed it there. I like simple, clean, and cozy.
My Canine Team
Chloe aka the Boss
I enjoy taking over fuzzy blankets, watching my employees from the back of the couch, and trying to convince my mom to give me tidbits of every meal.
Zeak aka the Cowardly Security Guard
I enjoy barking at the UPS truck then running away when they approach the door. I love toast but hate bread. If you try to give me a french fry instead of your burger or chicken, I will snub it. I am always holding out for the good stuff.
Mischa aka the Silent Partner
I enjoy being petted by my mom’s feet, pretending to be mom’s shadow, and playing tug. I am also only a snuggly dog with my mom. No one else gets to cuddle me. Nope, no pets for you.